Thursday, February 15, 2007

Vehicles

Gotta love em.

Those cars/trucks/vans/suvs of ours.

They get us where we want to go. Usually.

I have had my mini-van since 2000. It was payment from my husband for moving me and our two small children half way across the country to our new "home".

Today, at just under 93.400 miles, I had my first mechanical failure. I was driving along on my numerous errands when the check engine light came on.

Now, I don't know about you, but I would rather be abducted by aliens than have my check engine light come on. I KNOW what kinds of problems cause that light to come on.

I made it to my destination. Turn the engine off and back on to see if maybe, just maybe, it was a fluke and the light would go off. But no.

I phone the other half to inform him of the situation. I then called the dealership to get advice. I dropped the van off and caught a ride home with my awesome father-in-law.

Waaaaay back in '00, I was thrilled when I got my van. Thrilled. It was immensely tiresome driving two small children around in a sub-compact car. I was ready to move up to a van.

Lately that sentiment is gone. I think of myself as less momish and more sporty, now that I've reached "that" age. Don't make me tell you what "that" age is. You'll know it when you get there if you haven't already.

Last weekend I test drove some very nice SUVs. I found one that really did it for me. Really.Did.It.For.Me.


Other half? Not so much. Sigh.

We had the "discussion" about whether or not "we" need a new vehicle. Which was rather amusing since one of "us" got a new vehicle last year and it wasn't "me" if you smell what I'm cooking.

My van had just under 93,400 miles when the light came on. The SUV place had looked at it and declared it to be in amazing shape for its age. I knew they would not be anywhere near as dazzled if I returned with the check engine light on.

My fear was that we would end up putting more $$$$ into repairing/maintaining this vehicle and I would priced out of getting rid of it.

Flashback to Last Summer

Last year, when other half got his new car, I had taken mine in for the 90K service. I had confirmed with a service manager in the past, the manual, and online that the timing belt would not be changed until 105K miles. I knew that particular service would be pricey.

I dropped of my vehicle for service late in the afternoon. It was to be serviced the next day and returned to me in the early afternoon. No mention was made to me of what would actually be done but I had done this before and had a good feel for what it would cost and what work would be done.

I get a cryptic phone call from the service manager indicating that they needed to order a part to complete the service and that the work would be finished the next day. This was my first clue that they might be changing the timing belt. The part they needed: timing belt tensioner.

I spoke with the manager on the phone the next day and indicated that the timing belt should not have needed to be replaced at 90K miles. He indicated that it was this dealership's policy to do it at 90K. My response was NO ONE EVEN HINTED THAT THIS WAS GOING TO BE DONE NOW!

I continued my rant discussion with the service manager when I picked up my van. Needless to say I let him have it. I told him that I was contemplating trading the van in on another vehicle and they had just lost a sale.

Flash Forward to Today

Let's just say that the service manager and I are on a first name basis and he can see me coming from a mile away.

When I showed up with the van this morning, he knew EXACTLY who I was.

I got the call about my van this afternoon. Sure enough it was going to be $$$. Sigh. Turns out the catalytic converter was shot. I see any hope of a new SUV going down the tubes.

The service manager however went on to say that since the vehicle had less that 100K miles he cleared it with the regional manager to cover it under warranty and that I would only be responsible for the labor: $42.97.

I'm convinced that this is his way of saying, "Damn, we're sorry we screwed you with the timing belt. I know you were in here test driving an SUV last week and we'd really like you to spend more $$$$$ with us so please be happy that I pulled this deal for you." Little does he know that the SUV I want IS AT ANOTHER DEALER. He he he.

Am I getting a new SUV? Hard to say. Surely I will someday.

Just depends on how soon the other half capitulates.

Resistance is futile. :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sucks about the van. The check engine light does not always mean bad things (leaving the gas cap loose on most vehicles from 2000 up would do it). When the check engine light comes on it is important to take it to someone you trust, and I have not found any dealership yet that I trust. There might be a few, but none that I have been to.

Ford mini van? They are usually the vehicles that have catalyst problems (some chevy due to intake coolant leaks).Maybe not because I can't remeber a Ford minivan having an timing belt around 2000. Maybe forgein (toyota, nissan, some dodge's etc) BTW, catalyst systems on most vehicles carry a warranty up to 100,000 miles. Sometimes you have to fight for it, and sometimes not. This guy may not really be doing you a favor. Good luck.

gadzooks64 said...

Actually, I can't complain... much.

This is the first and only mechanical problem I have had with this car. It's been a delight.

It's a Honda and I think they make some of the best quality products on the road.

I just happen to find the Nissan to be... sexier.

MacAnthony said...

Did you be sure to point out your big cash last night in the AIPS event to your hubby? Surely that would tip his scales. We finally bought a minivan last year just cause we couldn't fit all the kids in my small SUV (that I've had since the beginning of time). I like the minivan much better than the SUV's that we looked at just for gas mileage reasons, but for the seating we needed, the only SUV's were giant, gas guzzling, V8 models. But I think my frugal side is outweighing my midlife crisis side. It doesn't hurt that I have a Trans Am in the garage though too ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh stop teasing and just buy the damn Hummer already. You know you want to intimidate people on the road. And have a Qd painted on the hood.

On a totally unrelated subject, ever notice how minivans sometimes get totalled on icy roads. Without kids inside, of course.

gadzooks64 said...

How bad would it be to WANT to wreck it? W/O the kids in it of course.

I will say this, vans are far more utilitarian that SUVs.

I just wish mine had the traction control, side curtain airbags, etc., that come on the newer ones.

It seems that my chief complaint - the heater working poorly - has been remedied by the new catalytic converter. Who knew?

P.S. They don't make garages big enough for all the midlife cars I would like to have...

Unknown said...

While I'm sad about your circumstances, you sort of know how I feel about minivans, so I would be lying if I said I wasn't at least a little bit gleeful that another one is biting the dust.

Oh, it still sucks though.