Monday, February 05, 2007

Superbowl Sunday

I'd like a show of hands.

Who remembers when the Superbowl was in JANUARY?

If you are older than 6 you damn well better have your hand up.

I normally don't give a rat's [insert body part] when sporting events are held. Just not my cup of tea, if you smell what I'm burning.

However.... the Superbowl has become a huge annoyance.

My brother and his now wife were planning their wedding in LAS VEGAS a couple years ago. They had decided on the first weekend in February which was A-Okay with me. Turns out all the hotel rooms in Vegas were a small fortune that weekend because - yeah, you guessed it - it was Superbowl weekend!?!

WTF!?! Isn't Superbowl weekend in January?

My husband and I got married on July 1st - near July 4th holiday. My first son was born near Labor Day and my second near Memorial Day. For the most part it's not a bad deal having your birthday near a holiday [Christmas excepted]. You get a long weekend to celebrate, an extra day to spend however you please.

That's not the same as having your birthday on Superbowl Sunday. Unless you're having a Superbowl party nobody's interested in celebrating with you. You are doubly screwed if you aren't a football fan.

If you haven't already guessed, yesterday was my birthday. I did get to spend it doing something I love: playing poker. Two home game players as well as my friends Khan and Zerb - who drove great distances each - and I played in a tournament hosted by a tavern owner from a couple towns over. Not only did I provide most of the equipment [and the Maple Glazed donuts, my personal favorite], I was also the tournament director - a lot of work - as well as a participant. The tournament finished just as the game was starting. The players pretty much dashed for the bar leaving me and Khan to pack up the mess.

Khan faired better than I since she took second for a nice chunk o change that more than payed for her expenses. GG T!

I got home completely exhausted and more than a little brain fried only to find an email with the Pokerslut Leaderboard spreadsheet attached. After what felt like a couple hours updating and debugging [my own mistakes] I was able to sit down about 40 mins before the game was over and read the rest of my email and catch up with my google reader while pretending to care about the game.

Recap:
  • windchill -23°
  • poker
  • Superbowl sunday
  • Maple Glazed donuts
Overall Score: 7.5

P.S. Spent some time on and off this am trying to find the commercials on YouTube. Huck sent me this one.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

First, reciprocal Happy Birthday wishes.
Secondly, not only do I remember the Superbowl being played before February, I also remember the Wolrd Series being wrapped up before November. At the risk of sounding very olde (as is my wont on my birthday anyway), all sports seasons are too long and too many teams make the playoffs. Life would be better if it went back to football in the fall, hockey in the winter and baseball in the spring and summer, with no 3rd and 4th place teams making the playoffs. Dagnabit.

MacAnthony said...

In some cultures, badmouthing football is blasphemy. Not to mention having personal events around labor day and memorial day is alright cause they aren't real holidays. A real holiday is one that forces you to drive great distances only to stuff your face and fall asleep at the wheel covering that distance on your way home.
Oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! :)
BTW, my bday is by christmas so I know the pain.