Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Bus Stop

When we first bought this lovely corner lot in this small new neighborhood that is loaded with kids it never occurred to me that corner lots make the best.... bus stops.

My kids were delighted when they found out the bus would be picking them up at the end of our driveway. Me, well I thought it was a good thing since they were still pretty young and I could keep and eye on them.

That was before I realized that they and the other bus stop kids were going to play with every toy in the garage and leave them scattered on the floor and driveway when the call of "Buuuuuu u u uuuuus!" went out. My driveway became the before school playground.

And what happens on the playground I ask you?

Drama.

Yep, drama. There, I said it.

Since we live at the bus stop my two gene pools decided that they should always be first in line. It was always whoever got there first with their backpack was first. So my oldest was always out there dumping his pack to hold his spot. There wasn't too much drama about that until the youngest decided that wasn't fair. So I told them to take turns.

It didn't occur to me, at the time, that they were treating this as a birthright until one day another parent explained to me that my child, yes MY CHILD, was telling everybody that it was HIS day to be first even though SOMEBODY else beat him to the bus stop. WTF?!?!? AND, he had the nerve to tell the other kids that he and his brother were to take turns being first!!! OMG! I am an idiot.

I assured this parent that the caveat was that they had to be the first out there. She assured me that she never doubted for a minute that that was what I had intended. Her son had suggested that they line up youngest to oldest and rotate positions getting one person closer to first each day then going to the back of the line. BRILLIANT I said. Drama resolved.

After two years of my driveway being the bus stop something odd happened this year.... the.bus.stop.was.moved.across.the.street. Cue the heavenly choir for a rousing rendition of the Halleluiah Chorus.

Finally, Peace on Earth, at least the little part called my driveway.

2 comments:

Kate said...

I want the bus stop in MY driveway.

The nearest one to our house is 2 blocks away. I'm sure I could call the bus garage and create enough of a nuisance of myself to make them change it to one block away, but the bus doesn't actually drive on my street so to-the-door service ain't gonna happen.

Mornings it's not an issue - I have to be to work nine minutes after Emily's bus arrives, so I drive her to her bus stop, hang out until I see it roll around the corner, and take off. But in the afternoons I'm left with a decision: do I get off my lazy butt to meet her outside, or do I let her run the gauntlet of serial killers and child molesters and rabid dogs which line the street at 3:25 every day to get herself home?

I think we already know the answer to that.

Anonymous said...

what, so are you saying i have to get in the BACK of the line?