Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Technology

Most days I'm delighted to live in this world teeming with Technology.

This is not one of those days.

While messing around with Video Converting yesterday, my laptop kept locking up. I finally got it done but was less that thrilled with all the bother. Then I saw that little yellow shield on the bottom of the screen indicating that I had a Windows update. Oh joy.

After I ran that update:

NONE OF MY USB DEVICES WERE RECOGNIZED INCLUDING MY WIRELESS MOUSE.

WTF? Srsly.

And, to add to my misery:

I HAD A TOURNAMENT STARTING UP IN 15 MINUTES.

I scrambled to re-install my mouse and reboot the machine. I arrived at the table late and still can't use my external keyboard. Sigh. I'll have to reboot again at the break, if I make it that far. Talk about not having your head in the game.

Additionally, someone tries to send me a pix message about that same time frame and, as usual these days, I get an error when I download it. I finally decide that I'm fed up with this and call Verizon Tech Support since this has been a problem for me for some time now.

Ms. Tech Support does something and VIOLA I can received and send pix messages. BUT, then she says let me do a couple more things.... yes, that's the sound of SHIT GOING WRONG! Sigh.

Whatever she did really screwed things up. After that I couldn't even access the internet. D'oh! We try all kinds of things and she says we'll just have to wait for the service ticket to be processed.

In the mean time I peruse the intertubes looking for other people with the same issue. Turns out a lot of people are having issues but nobody is getting any consistent kind of resolution. Looks like the Verizon people aren't telling people whatever it is that the are doing to correct the issue so there's nothing I can ask about to help with the solution.

This morning I fire up the phone and the Internet is now working, thank gawd. But, the pix messaging still a no go. After more research I stumble across something that I call to question the Tech Support people about and again no help.

So here I sit.

Frustrated.

Screwed by Technology.

What else is new.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you know what would suck... if we had nothing to complain about.

so, no matter how you look at it, we are now slaves to technology -- but, probably for the better.

gadzooks64 said...

Oh I agree, DP.

It's all for the better.

It's just so frustrating when you rely on it and it breaks down.