Sunday, November 25, 2007

Survivor

If I could have, I would have voted myself onto an island by myself late last week. But since that's not a privilege that I enjoy (apparently they don't let you vote yourself off) I was stuck here dealing with my new craptop, my grandmother, my whole family of in-laws, my kids, the other half and the entire world that is out to get me. Did I leave anybody out?

The new craptop was occupying a lot of my time and energy. I was desperate to get my software loaded on it so I could take the old one in to be looked at. Never mind that the new one has issues of it's own that will have to be dealt with in time as well.

I must be one resourceful person because I managed to get all my software loaded without using the defunct DVD/CD drive. It turns out that it reads DVDs just fine, it just can't read a CD to save it's life. I don't know about you, but all of my software CAME ON CDS, DAMNIT!

I managed to download a copy of Microsoft Office 2003 Student Edition (I'm looking at the lovely shiny CD as I type this) but it was in some funky format that forced me to download some software I'm sure I'll never again have any use for just to be able to read the file and install the software. I was able to load my License Key so I don't feel the least bit bad about technically downloading illegal software.

It's a good thing I save every shopping related email I get. I was able to download and install Nero from one of those emails. Luckily, most of the software I use is free. But that doesn't prevent me from having to reinstall and reconfigure it all. What a huge pain in the buttocks.

I just successfully finished importing all of my Outlook files. I did have to reload all of my email accounts. Luckily I still have HP to get the details I needed. Tomorrow the HP goes to Justin. I sure hope he can get the usb ports back just on principle.

I don't really care if he can't since I do have the new laptop but the kids may not like the lack of usb ports when the HP gets handed off to them. Zooks 97 is already eager to get his hands on it. A little too eager if you get my drift. It'll probably take me weeks to get all the stuff that he's not supposed to see OFF of it so he may have a longer wait that he anticipates.

Here's the list of software I had to beg, borrow and/or steal for the new laptop:

No comments: