Friday, July 04, 2008

Happy 4th of July


It's turning out to be a beautiful day here in the Midwest. We're headed over to the neighbor's house for a cookout and fireworks (and possibly a dip in their pool) later this evening.

I spend most of the morning running around town trying to find cole slaw - a necessary ingredient for my fantastically good Crunchy Oriental Cole Slaw. It really is that good.


Crunchy Oriental Cole Slaw

1 lb bag slaw w/carrot shavings
2 pkgs beef ramen noodles - crush noodles
1C chopped walnuts
1C sunflower seeds - roasted
sliced green onions to taste (I used one whole bunch)

Sauce
2 beef flavoring packets from ramen noodles
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup white wine vinegar (I used plain white vinegar)
1/2 cup sugar

Pour sauce onto slaw/noodles when ready to serve.

My father sent me a recipe for Kitty Litter Cake that sounded too good to resist. This is my first effort at making it. I'm sure pictures will be posted later if it turns out as good as I suspect it will. Any recipe that calls for you to shape Tootsie Rolls into realistic kitty litteresque shapes is bound to be photoworthy. Just sayin.

No comments: