Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Drama

Drama, I has it.

These past 4 weeks have been brutal.  A few days before my birthday Zooks99 and I came down with some nasty stomach bug that hung on for several days.  A couple weeks later Zooks99 started complaining of a sore throat.  After he popped up with a fever a couple nights later I decided that it was time to take him to the doctor.  No strep throat but a thriving ear infection.  Oh joy.  Then, two days after he started his antibiotics he spiked a 105° fever along with vomiting.

Several days into Zooks99's second bout of stomach bug Zooks97 was scheduled for his colonoscopy and endoscopy procedure.  This is not at all the way this was supposed to work out.  Zooks97 stayed home the day before the procedue while he did the cleanse part of the preparation.  Since I have been through this process myself I was rather surprised at his reaction.  You would have thought that the chain saw massacre villian was slicing off body parts inches at a time.  The boy is a serious Drama Queen!  I was much too frustrated with him to have any sympathy.  About half way through the liquid he's supposed to drink he refused to finish it.  It's definitely a good thing TOH volunteered to take him to the procedure while I stayed home with the still recovering Zooks99.

Turns out Zooks97 has an ulcer.  We've started him on some medication that, with any luck, will improve some of his symptoms.  His follow up appointment is tomorrow and I assume I will get all the dirty details then.

In the mean time, the boys have expressed a desire to have new bedroom furniture.  Two or three years ago we bought them the coolest loft beds.  I would have been thrilled to have something like this when I was a kid.  I think they did enjoy them but lately they've been whining about wanting new beds that they don't have to climb into.

Tell me this doesn't look totally kewl!
They have settled on this:


Well, yeah, you can sleep on it.  The problem is that now they have no storage or desk.  I've designed a shelving system that will give them something of a desk and a place to put all their books, trophies, and miscellaneous crap.  I'm off in a few minutes to purchase all the peices for that as soon as I finish this post.

But, before then, let me fill in on the latest snag in my life.  

I was supposed to go to IKEA to purchase the new beds on Sunday but, due to a slight hangover, I wasn't up to going.  I did find enough energy to take apart their loft beds and promised them I would pick up the new beds on Tuesday.

Monday was Casimir Polanski day in our fair state.  Yeah, I have no clue who that is.  Just another excuse for my kids to take a day off of school.  Zooks97 spent as much of the day as possible annoying the crap outta Zooks99.  Zooks99 has a very high tolerance of Zooks97 most days.  So even I was surprised when he grabbed Zooks99's bowling ball and hurled it at the floor.  Sigh.  After we get home they are running amok upstairs when I hear whining about Zooks97 having locked up Zooks99's webkinz AND he'd managed to collect all of the door keys from their jambs.

Ok, hand over the keys.  He refused.  Sigh.  I hear more running amok upstairs and a loud thud followed by Zooks97 frantically approaching me holding his arm that is bent at an unnatural angle.  He'd fallen off his desk chair (with rollers) while trying to replace the door keys.  Future rocket scientist had just broken his wrist while standing on a rolling chair.

We were out the door within a few minutes on the way to the ER.  I called TOH and informed him that he needed to meet us at the ER before I just end it for Zooks97 right now and we can just plan the funeral.  I spent a couple hours at the ER while they splinted up his broken wrist.  My plans for the IKEA run are now canceled while I have to arrange an appointment with the orthopedic surgeon to set the break in a cast which just happens to fall on the same day as the gastroenterologist's appointment.

Yeah, I think you'll agree, the last four weeks have been brutal.  FML.

5 comments:

Hrbek said...

Casimir Pulaski -- subject of a slick little Sufjan Stevens song FTW. Here it is to sample on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Casimir-Pulaski-Day/dp/B000SH7HTM

So I googled him years ago to know more about the song and the kid was a pole who got jiggy in the American Rev -- trained bitches up and shit.

Lots of CP Days wherever there be lots of Polishes.

Memphis MOJO said...

Sounds like you've been through the wringer.

College kids go for the loft thing. Saves room. Prob too late, but maybe if the zook-kidsters knew that, they might think it is cool?

BamBam said...

Yeah....... you deserve that drink!

:)

lightning36 said...

Ha ha -- drama indeed. Now that my kids are older it seems like the drama only happens one kid at a time.

I remember this key life moment many moons ago. I was changing Erin's (youngest daughter) diaper on the floor. She peed in the new diaper immediately, so I had to put on diaper # 2. Meanwhile, Heather (oldest daughter) is on her bed saying, "Dad, I think I'm going to throw up." At the same time, Rick (only son) is being potty trained and is sitting on the toilet yelling, "Daddy - wipe me!!!"

I kept thinking about one of the Old Milwaukee beer commercials: "Yep -- life doesn't get any better than this."

gadzooks64 said...

This whole redecorating is gonna be a bitch but I am definitely saving the old rigs just in case they do want them for college.

Kids. Your parents' revenge. 'Nuff said.