Friday, January 12, 2007

Slutzsky's

Oh crap! I forgot to brush my braces! BRB! Sigh....

Being the lazy person that I am I allowed my kids to talk me into ordering a pizza from one of my favorites sandwich places; I will call it Slutzsky's in order to fool, well, hopefully no one.

I call my order in and the person on the other end cheerfully informs me that it will be about 15 minutes, which, coincidentally, is about how long it takes me to drive there.

I load up the kiddos [other half is still in England] and off we go. It's raining outside so I opt for the non-all-wheel-drive vehicle because I don't like the wipers on the AWD. Yeah, that's right. Doh!

I'm about a third of the way there when I realize that the RAIN IS FREEZING ON MY WINDSHIELD. Oh crap. Slow down, turn on the defroster full blast, blow some deicing windshield fluid on there and everything clears up nicely.

I opt for the drive thru window - which I never do - since there's this nasty sleetage going on outside. I pull up and get the please hold.... and hold... and hold. A car pulls up behind me so I just pull forward since my food should be ready by now. Oops there's a car there so I'm going to have to wait for them to be done. Sigh. I finally get to window and I see that they are just now putting in a large 1/2 cheese 1/2 pepperoni pizza into the baker. Wow, somebody else order the same pizza as us boys! What are the odds! Horrible! As it turns out they are just now putting our food in the oven.

I tell the man that I will park and come inside to wait. We see many other people waiting with us. I overhear a man saying that he'd been waiting for 30 minutes for his order. Rut Row. This is not looking good. I even hear someone say here's a call in order that didn't get made.

After some whining from the boys, I finally go to the counter and ask if that's my pizza in the oven. Uh, no. Oh, here it is boxed and ready to go. I mumble something to the effect of, "What? Were you going to let me sit there all night before telling me it was ready?" Snarky blonde worker mutters, "No," under her breath. Ya, right.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love Slutszky's. We eat there regularly. I will never ever again attempt to phone in my order and drive thru to pick it up. Never. Ever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My Slutzskys story... I'd been eating at 4 different ones for, oh, eight years or so. Ordered the same thing in the same way, always got what I wanted. Went to a new one recently. Same order. Instead of my plain turkey I get turkey with glop. I take it back. "I ordered this plain." "You don't want pastrami on it?". "No" (though I really wanted to point out what a moron the guy was, but not til I get my food for fear of bodily fluids on it). "Okay." Second try. Now it has mustard and other glop. I take it back. "I said plain!" "It is plain!" "It's got mustard and glop." "That's what plain is! What do you want?" "Everyone in the free world, including 4 other franchises, understands the word 'plain' to mean 'no condiments whatsoever. Why are you redefining the word?" Blah blah blah blah blah. I register a complaint on the corporate web site. British-accented store owner calls me to explain that I'm insane. I explain that this is America and 4 other stores do it right. He instructs me on the proper wording to use to get what I want next time. There will be no next time at that store.