Monday, August 23, 2010

Netbook Lives!

After repeatedly watching that YouTube video of the guy removing the LCD in the previous post and downloading the manufacturer's service guide for the netbook I thought I was ready to install the replacement LCD myself.  Ok, maybe with a little help from a neighbor who volunteered to help me. 

I wasn't expecting the replacement LCD until tomorrow or even the day after that so imagine my surprise when I found it in my mailbox this afternoon.  I set the box on the counter planning to wait until tonight to install it when there was a chance the neighbor could come help me but then I got itchy fingers.  I was dying to get started.

I cleaned off the kitchen counter, gathered my tools and brought the ASUS over to watch the video while I was doing the installation.  The teardown went well.  I had to reference the service guide a couple of times and rerun the video but I got it done!  Only 6 screws to remove the bezel, disconnect the webcam and pull out the microphone, carefully remove the tape holding the connector to the LCD and then 4 more screws to remove the LCD from the frame.  Once that was all apart it was pretty easy to put it all back together. 

I put the battery back on and fired it up just to make sure everything worked BEFORE I put it all back together - just in case, you know, something didn't work.  I was tickled with myself when the whole screen lit right up!  So, here it is in all its glory!


It lives!

2 comments:

am said...

I'm waiting for the sequel -- Son of Netbook.

gadzooks64 said...

I think I'm going to hold out for a tri-corder.

Or, at the very least, Great-Grandson of Netbook.

Unless you are buying, then I'm in!