Tuesday, May 12, 2009

MyPhone, iPhone, Blackberry Oh My



By now all of you know that I love, love, LOVE my phone.  I have had this version of MyPhone for about a year now.  I still love it as much as I did the day I got, maybe even more.

But. 

But I've been tempted by a Blackberry.  Yeah, one of those.  The Blackberry Storm was such a sexy beast.  Or so I thought until I got my hands on one.  I played with it at the store and just couldn't get it to do a damn thing I wanted.  The "keyboard" just wouldn't type what I wanted.  Period.  I even went back and tried a second time will a little more success than the first time but not nearly enough to convince me to plop down $200 for the privilege of throwing it across the room in frustration every time I wanted to send a text.

After I gave up on the Storm I found the Bold.  Now the Bold was something I could get attached to, if only it were on Verizon and not just AT&T.  A sexy full keyboard and a screen that was full bodied and, by all accounts, strikingly clear.

Considering that I live in BFE where only Verizon has any decent coverage I am understandably reluctant to switch to AT&T just to get a sexy phone and by reluctant I mean not even if they were offering free boob jobs.

I have found myself hitting up the Blackberry Rumor forum for word of any upcoming handsets that might appeal to me.  I'd really like to get a touchscreen with a full front facing keyboard.  It seems that I am not alone in this.  Everybody seems to want one of these.  The rumors are that something like this might show up, oh, never.  Well, ok, actually it might be in the works.  Might show up a nanosecond after I actually give up waiting for it and buy something else.

Recently there have been rumors that AT&T's exclusive contract for the iPhone with Apple is coming to an end.  It seems that Verizon and Apple may be negotiating a deal for Verizon to get a iPhonesque offering.  Now that's probably giving a lot of geeky Verizon customers technowood.  Me?  Not so much. 

I've decided that I have to have a real keyboard on my phone.  While the marketing geniuses at Apple have made the iPhone on par with the second coming of Elvis I never quite bought all the hype.  It is slick.  It is kewl.  But I can't see myself being productive with it.  I would spend all my time just goofing off - the light saber app alone would be my downfall, just sayin.

I'm not saying I would never own and iPhone but it's unlikely.  I'm not kewl enough for an iPhone.  I'm a geek.  I need something I can tweak, modify, hack.  Ok, it really comes down to being not kewl enough.  I'd feel like a poseur.  I mean really.  I bowl.  I play poker.  I'm an engineer.  I'd have to give up my geek card. 


The one phone that gave me technowood is a phone that most of you have probably never heard of: Nokia e71.  Now this is one sexay phone.  Touchscreen.  Full keyboard.  It runs on a Symbian operating system.  You can buy an unlocked version but it's not CDMA - meaning it won't work with Verizon.  Sigh.  AT&T just picked up a version of this and is selling it for dirt cheap with a contract but AT&T just doesn't have any coverage out here in BFE.  I mean really, look at that phone.  Is that not the sleekest, sexiest, suhwheatest full keyboard touchscreen you've ever seen?

I'm not actually due to get a "free" upgrade until January 2010 or should that be '10?  Until then I'll just keep torturing myself with all the new phones that I can't have.

Post Scrip:  Read this on VegasRex:

While this may indeed sound like a commercial, I assure you that it is not.  It’s simple reality.  I have used everything dating back to the original Palm Pilot, and as of 2009, the BlackBerry is the greatest tech advice (sic) ever invented.  Yes, including the iPhone which looks far nicer, but which lacks far too many features that I use on a daily basis.  The iPhone is a toy.  If a man carries one, it’s a substitute for the vagina he always wanted.  The BlackBerry is a powerhouse that does everything and it “just works©”.  Fanboys flame away, but I’m right and you’re wrong.  Period.

3 comments:

Cynthia said...

I don't think I could handle one of these fabulous phones...but I want one;)

Memphis MOJO said...

Well, you've gone and done it. I was perfectly happy with my phone, but now . . .

lightning36 said...

You mean you can do more than call with a phone?