Friday, December 26, 2008

Wii!

TOH had decided years ago that we weren't buying one of those console game systems for our children.  No Sega.  No Xbox.  No hand held systems either.

We did indulge them in some of the retro style plug-in TV games a few years ago.  You know the ones: Pacman, Space Invaders, etc.  They played them but not very much. 

This is the first year that I tried to pull one over on my kids.  They are getting to the age where they don't really want toys anymore.  They play on online game that I've already purchased a significant amount of "Cash" so that wasn't an option. 

The Wii was a fascinating concept.  We knew lots of people that have them and swear they are the coolest game they've ever bought.  After seeing some of the games I was starting to change my mind about getting one for our family.  The challenge would be convincing TOH that we should get one.

Several months ago I floated the idea at TOH and was promptly shot down.  I gathered my courage up for another assualt.  This time I succeeded.  So I secretly began my acquisition of all the accoutrement de Wii. 

I scored a system bundled with 3 controllers & nunchuks as well as a couple of games.  Rock Band, Guitar Hero Aerosmith, Wii Beach Sports, Wii Music, Wii Fit, charging stations - I was nothing if not thorough. 

I picked up one last controller and nunchuck to max out at 4 - one for each member of the family and enough for the kids to have a free-for-all with their friends.  System completed in complete secrecy.  I even had most of this stuff sent to the inlaws house so no nosy boys would suspect anything.

Then, one night a few days before Xmas, the boys asked about some books I had ordered for them from Amazon.com.  I pull up my recent orders and we look for the needed information when I happen to scroll down just a tad too far and what comes into view but my final order for that last controller & nunchuk.  Pwned. 

Sigh.

Epic Fail. 

They were on to me. 

I still had a few surprises up my sleeve but the Main Feature was out of the bag. 

Less than an hour after unwrapping we were playing Mario Kart, and Wii Sports.  Mario Kart kicked my ass but I pwn Wii Fishing. 


My oldest was up at the crack of dawn setting up the Rock Band.  He even tried out MY WII FIT before I got a chance to inform him that he was not to play with my game!


Well, it's time to school them Zooks boys!  I need all the Mario Kart practice I can get...

6 comments:

Memphis MOJO said...

So cool. The kids I'm around like Guitar Hero the best.

gadzooks64 said...

Yeah. Rock Band, Guitar Hero and Mario Kart are very popular right now along with the Wii sports.

MacAnthony said...

World of Goo FTW.

Anonymous said...

Yup, got a Wii too. I tried to make it an Xbox but no luck.
[bit of background info: over here in The Netherlands, december 25th and 26th or both holidays, called first and second Christmas day)
December 25th my wife had to work until about midnigth (think restautant, Christmas dinner and buffet - dec.25th is here what dec.24th is in most other countries). So there I was: kids in bed, on my own, Wii ready to roll. What game did I play? Windows Server 2008. I started two virtual machines and created groups, users, policies, did some scripting and it was awesome.
No, I'm not a geek...... or a nerd.... really.
Yesterday when the kids were in bed, we were bowling, playing tennis and Mario Kart, so I did some Wii time. Still, when I'm alone, it's Windows and Linux all the way (oh what fun it is to migrate to an active directory forest far away).

gadzooks64 said...

Mario Kart continues to kick my ass.

Have discovered the Wii Fit balance games. The skiing is friggin awesome.

I'll be buying World of Goo as soon as kids are back in school and they can't watch me unlock the internet.

Found out we need more room for 2 adults and 2 children to play Wii Tennis. Should have known since I backhanded youngest when there were only two players.

Irongirl01 said...

How realistic is the skiing? Havent downhilled in about 15 years but i can say without blushing I was an expert skiier, pretty much having two boards strapped to my feet from the age of 4 on.