Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Monkey Tilt

Full on Monkey Tilt.

Snuffy mentioned this in his last post.

We've all been there. It usually doesn't happen very often. As a matter of fact, the farther along you get in your poker career the less and less you find it happening - or rather - the less it should be happening.

What's even more dangerous is the Low Boil Half-Baked Monkey Tilt.

That's the one that sneaks up on you. It builds up from the first bad beat/call/move to the next semi-bad event. It's all the little things that add up to a low boil that makes you, after a while, do that one stupid thing that costs you big time.

While playing last night's $1 Rebuy CHIMPS I got my chips in waaaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead twice only to get shot down. I thought I was hanging in there until after the rebuy when I shoved my 88 into a reraiser. He has KK and IGHN. Well, duh.

That is a leak in my game. I don't get Full On Monkey Tilt. At least I haven't in a long long long time. That's not saying it won't happen again but I'd like to think that it won't.

It's that Low Boil Half-Baked Monkey Tilt that gets me. I can only handle so many bad beats piled one upon the other, paired with a bad run of cards and other outside distractions and I'm ready to donk it up like Mike Matusow.

Oddly enough, I don't ever tilt playing live. Maybe that's a product of my limited live play although I'm getting more and more as time goes by.

I think online poker is more conducive to tilt than live. So many hands get played. There's probably another window, or 5, open that require your attention. Your kids could be running amok. Your spouse could be harping at you. All these things could add up to one short-fused player.

I know of several players who have turned off the TV, the streaming pron, the iTunes, skype, AIM, and even the table chat (blasphemy!). You know what? They played better. Go figure.

Tilt. I know I need to work on it. We all do.

No comments: