Monday, September 03, 2007

The Unexpected

Scenario One

Let's say, for argument's sake, that you and a friend, brother, sister, cousin, vv/e, pick up a couple Ginormous Gulps from your favorite quickstop.

You opt for cola X and your partner opts for cola Y.

Let's say, for argument's sake, that you enjoy both of these choices and they are in the top 3-4 choices you usually make for soda.

Now, somehow, after a while, you accidentally take a huge drink FROM THE YOUR FRIENDS' DRINK not realizing it wasn't your own.

GASP, CHOKE, SPUTTER, SPEEEEEEEEW!!!

Even though you like cola Y just as much as cola X, when you aren't expecting to be tasting cola Y it tastes like horse dooky.

Now, I'm sure I'm not the only one that has done this.

Scenario Two

You stop buy your favorite quickstop and get a tankard of soda - not your number 1 choice but something in the top 4.

You run your errands drinking your soda when for some strange reason you take a slurp expecting to get your number 1 choice but instead get what you actually chose - number 4.

GASP, CHOKE, SPUTTER, SPEEEEEEEEW!!!

Yep, horse dooky, again.

I'm sure I'm not the only one this has happened to. Right? Right!?!?!

Getting old is a bitch. I'm sure all of my older friends (not Zerb, Lynx, Squib)* can attest that this has happened to them at some point or another. Don't try to deny it, I know better.


* not to be confused with Zerbet, Lynx56 or Squibbles. Absolutely not. Really.

Scenario Three

My in-laws came over for dinner last night and brought dessert with them. I knew they were bringing a pie from the local apple orchard. In my experience they ALWAYS bring an apple pie.

When it came time for dessert I thought the pie looked a little "off" but I figured I would eat it anyway. If I got sick later I'd blame the pie.

It tasted good but not quite right. I couldn't put my finger on it but something was definitely not kosher with this pie.

We sat making small talk when my mother-in-law mentioned they had gotten the pie for my sister-in-law who prefers PEACH to APPLE.

OMGWTF!?!?!? PEACH! You must be kidding me. It would have tasted so much better had I known I was eating PEACH pie instead of thinking I was eating APPLE pie.

No wonder that pie tasted like horse dooky!

Worst part is: I ATE IT ANYWAY!

I started to chuckle at myself and explained to my MIL that I thought something tasted funny about that pie. I told her I assumed it was apple since that's what they always bring. The most ironic part: the label for the pie was staring me straight in the face the whole time I was eating it!

Getting old sucks.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

HA!

I didn't make the "old" list. Cool.

gadzooks64 said...

Hhahahah!

Damnit, you so were on that list!

My brain is shot.

MacAnthony said...

I haven't the slightest clue WTF you are talking about. But hey, at least it isn't a bad beat post.

Anonymous said...

I never get the wrong soda. This is a function of having kids, not age.

OTOH I dug into what was advertised (by my host) as a peach cake and doubted all the way through my slice that it was really just a plain white cake with a couple of peach slices on top. I felt a huge sense of relief when someone else made that observation. I figured it was a mini-stroke in the area controlling tastebuds.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, pretty soon you'll be so old that you won't be able to taste anything anymore.

Anonymous said...

In two weeks I´ll be 39. That´s not old, is it?

The weirdest thing is with talking about events, movies, songs etc from my past and suddenly realizing the nephew or twenty-something colleague was very young or not even born when it happened, while I remember it like it was yesterday.
Good thing the remembering part is not an issue anymore when I get really old.

My 5yo son loves Star Wars and I was 10 or so when I saw it for the first time.

Blazman said...

I have done this with orange juice and milk.. YUCK.... and I have been doing this for years, I am 34..