Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Google Gives

I just spotted this in my reader.  I’m a HUGE Google fan but I’ve just had a real hard time giving up my Firefox.  Believe me, I’ve tried.  Most recently a few days ago.  My Firefox was acting squirrelly and I was just about to call it quits.  I loaded all my bookmarks into Chrome and was off and running again.  Then Firefox released an update and I was back like an addicted crack whore. 

But, this little article by TechCrunch will get me back to using Google Chrome – at least for the next few days.  Maybe by then I will assimilated and there will be no looking back.

Be sure to tech out TechCrunch if you aren’t already a regular reader.

 

I’m addicted to browser tabs. I probably open several hundred of them each day during my regular web browsing. And today brings good news: Google wants to reward me for that.

Well technically, Google wants to reward charities on my behalf for my obsessive web browsing. A new initiative today called “Chrome for a Cause” asks you to download a Google-made Chrome extension that will note your tab opening activity and allow you to donate to one of five charities at the end of each day based on your usage. Yep, just browse the web, and donate to charity.

The charities involved in this are: The Nature Conservancy, charity: water, Doctors Without Borders, Un Techo para mi Pais, and Room to Read. Here’s Google’s breakdown of how much you have to browse to donate to the various charities:

  • 10 tabs = 1 tree planted
  • 10 tabs = 1 book published and donated
  • 25 tabs = 1 vaccination treatment provided
  • 100 tabs = 1 square foot of shelter built
  • 200 tabs = 1 person’s clean water for a year

The initiative will run for five days from December 15 to the 19. Google says they’ll donate up to a million dollars on behalf of the extension’s users.

Find the extension here. Get clicking.

CrunchBase Information

Google Chrome

Information provided by CrunchBase

No comments: