Wednesday, June 02, 2010

My Tracks for Android

Prelude

The tornado sirens went off about 1:00am last night yet I am still up at the butt crack of dawn. Ok, not exactly the butt crack of dawn but close enough for government work.  

Today is the day my new screaming laptop arrives. UPS called yesterday to tell me it would be here sometime between 8:00am and 7:00pm. Wow, that's ever so helpful. Not to mention that it MUST be signed for. Looks like I won't be going anywhere today until that package arrives.

My Tracks

After I bought Bebe and started riding again I went looking for an Android app (There's an app for that!) that would tell me how far I rode. There were several that I looked at but the one that seemed to get the best reviews was My Tracks.

The best part about My Tracks is the Google integration, um, duh. After you finish your walk, run, ride, whatever, you can upload the data and route to Google Docs and Google Maps.

I didn't remember to start it until I was nearly home for Track 1 so that's about 1/4 of the total ride. Track 2 is a short one because '99 was being a total turd and annoying me to no end. He now has a new bike and will be forced to ride the whole route the next time.
As if having the data from your ride sent to a Google Docs spreadsheet wasn't enough, My Tracks can also overlay it onto a Google Map and save it to your Saved Maps. I may eventually get tired of looking at these and not bother to save them anymore but for now it is very kewl to look at.
My Tracks may very well turn out to be that extra incentive to ride just a little bit further just to see that improvement in the spreadsheet. Nothing keeps you honest like accurate data. No more guestimating (on the high side of course) just how far you went OR how long it took.

4 comments:

A. Nonymous said...

You are a very strange person.

gadzooks64 said...

Why thank you!

And that exit link was quite informative. ;)

am said...

So, did you get it?

gadzooks64 said...

Yep.