Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Next Laptop



I caved. 

I fell in love with another laptop: the ASUS G73JH-A2.  Shh, don't tell my Toshiba.

I had every intention of buying another Toshiba to replace this one but then I saw this bad boy.

Stealthy.  Sexy.  Speedy.  What's not to love?

After looking around for a couple of weeks I finally pre-ordered mine from XoticPC.  I went with them because they had stellar customer ratings.  Also, they were offering many custom upgrade options including an Intel dual band, wireless N card to replace the Atheros card that comes standard.  My limited experience with Atheros wireless cards makes me believe that they are full of teh suck, so I'm more than willing to pay the $30ish for the Intel upgrade. 

While many people are going for the SSD (Solid State Drive) upgrade I am forgoing that option.  I don't have any burning need for <30sec bootup times nor do I do the kind of gaming that would benefit from an SSD.  If/when SSDs get competitive in pricing I might consider getting one but for now I don't see any reason to get one.

This particular rig has been VERY popular and ASUS hasn't been able to keep up with demand.  The waitlist is epic in length.  I expect to get mine late in May or maybe early June.  Luckily shipments seem to be picking up so there is a small hope I can get it before then.  Keep your fingers crossed for me.


No comments: