Friday, November 13, 2009

Kindle

My oldest son talked me into getting a Kindle so he could read it at school.  I was a prime target since I do love the idea of having all these books to read without having to worry about where to PUT the book when I'm done.  Almost every bookshelf in our house is already packed.



Before I agreed to buy the Kindle I made the boys try the Kindle app for their iPod Touch.  One thought it was ok but the youngest wasn't fond of it.  I gave it a try and was quickly suckered in.  I loved reading on that iPod Touch.  I do not have an iPhone but I could see how I would be seriously tempted to get one if Verizon ever gets one (which is looking more and more unlikely after the recent release of the Droid).

Just the other day I saw a notice that Amazon had released the Kindle PC application!  Wooooooot!  I have this snazzy little netbook that would be perfect for that!  I downloaded and installed it; I was connected to my account in no time.  I retrieved the eight book Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris that I recently purchased.  It wasn't until this morning that I had the time to fire up the netbook and try out the Kindle for PC software.  I have to say I like it.  Oddly, I like the actual Kindle itself the least of all my options. 

The best part about the Kindle and all the Kindle Applications is the FREE content that is available.  Many old classics are available for FREE.  Did I mention FREE books?  Jack London, Charles Dickens, Joseph Conrad, Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, Mark Twain, Rudyard Kipling, Arthur Conan Doyle, Shakespeare, Jonathon Swift, Nathaniel Hawthorne....  The list goes on and on.  Additionally, there is a ton of content that is very cheap and no book is more than $9.99.

Now if only they would get that rumored BlackBerry app released!


No comments: