Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Camera Drama

I ordered a new camera. I am in love my Fuji cameras but I found another one that I really really wanted. The downside was that Fuji has discontinued this camera making it difficult to find. I've been doing periodic google searches only to find that many of these places saying they had it were actually out of stock or it was on back order.

After actually talking to this one place on the phone I placed my order for a kit - including a bunch of stuff I already had but they wouldn't break it up for me. I was so excited when the box was delivered yesterday afternoon. I ripped open the box and unloaded all the "extras" I didn't need. I opened the box and whipped out the camera body but was confused because it sure didn't look like what I was expecting.



Maybe this will explain it:



After spending 30 minutes in the same queue multiple times waiting to speak to a customer service representative I finally get to tell my story of woe. Then, the guy tries to convince me that the camera I got is actually an upgrade to the one I order (not bloody likely) and wouldn't I rather have it? Uh, hell no.

So he emails me an RMA request for that I dutifully filled out and faxed back. I noticed this as I was reading the form:

IT’S THE CUSTOMER’S RESPONSIBILITY TO CALL THE RMA DEPT. IF NO RESPONSE WAS RECEIVED AFTER 24 HOURS OF FAXING THIS FORM TO TVsDepot.Com.

Man, talk about customer service. Sigh. I knew I should hold out for a place that has at least one positive rating on Google Shopping. I was lulled by the salesman telling me they had 3 in stock when I had so much difficulty finding them at all. So, with any luck in, oh, about never I'll get the camera I actually ordered.

2 comments:

tsheets said...

Yeah, you gotta be careful with those online retailers.

I've heard of the same thing....they have what you are looking for (usually for a great price), and want to sell you all the extras. If you don't take the extras, magically, they 'just ran out'.

I only purchase from well-known highly rated sites...even if they aren't the cheapest.

Though, it would seem that the s7000 should be an upgrade to the s6000. But, I don't know squat about Fuji's lineup.

Good luck getting it all sorted.

gadzooks64 said...

Well the two biggest differences are:

Zoom:

S7000 = 6x power zoom
S6000 = 10x manual zoom (wide angle)

LCD screen:

S7000 = 1.8"
S6000 = 2.5"

So, yeah I find it hard to believe that the S7000 is an "upgrade" from the S6000.