Monday, April 27, 2009

Tulips



I can say without reservation that I have no green thumb whatsoever. 

None.  Zip.  Zilch.  Nada.

So what possessed me to order literally hundreds of bulbs one year is beyond me.  I made my mother help me plant what seemed like a brazilian bulbs one fall when she was here for a visit.  To my utter amazement beautiful tulips emerged the following spring. 

These stunning flowers are lucky to get a few dribbles of plant food tossed on them every now and again.  After one particularly bad year - not sure if it was the weather, lack of nurishment or the bunnies that did them in - I was determined to take better care of the demanding little s.o.b.s since I've become accustomed to seeing their cute little buds in every spring. 

When our lawn fertilizer guy retired from the business I was stuck looking for another provider.  I stumbled on a NatureScape van servicing another house in my neighborhood so I gave them a call.  They had very good pricing and also offered a tree and shrub package.  Bingo.  I needed this.  They did a fabulous job last year.  A good year is when nothing dies - everything seems to be thriving better than usual, including my tulips.

I did catch a bunny carrousing amongst my tulips the other day.  I promptly spread out some Blood Meal to keep the little buggers off my precious buds.



I snapped this picture a day or so ago when it was bright and sunny but very windy.  I wasn't sure they would ever stand up straight again.  This morning they were all closed up and looking stunning as ever when I snapped the top photo. 

My only gripe with tulips is that they don't last long at all.  This year they took forever to come up after the brutal winter we had.  I'll be lucky to get another week out of them. 

I have some Asiatic Lilies that bloom in mid summer that are also stunning.  I know you can't wait to see them, too.  Humor me, ok?




7 comments:

Guess Who said...

heh heh heh heh heh heh
you said "servicing"
heh heh heh heh heh heh

gadzooks64 said...

Don't you have other bloggers to bother, am?

Memphis MOJO said...

I love the two photos, thanks for posting.

am said...

Can't take credit...when I resort to puerile humor (ok, I catch the association now), I proudly stamp my name all over it.

gadzooks64 said...

Poor Zerb, leaves a snarky comment and doesn't even get credit for it.

Sad really.

nzgreen said...

You sent me a link to some precious buds a few months ago, but these are definitely not them.

The NL Wife said...

Beautiful picture of the single tulip . . . congratulations!

And thanks for your good wishes!