Saturday, August 23, 2008

Instant Messaging

Those of you that know me "personally" know that I'm a big IMer.  Back in the dark ages I signed up for an AIM (AOL Instant Messenger) account.  I eventually registered for a Yahoo Messenger account as well though now I rarely use it.  I even signed up for an MSN account that has also been abandoned. 

The AIM client, while much improved from the first versions, sucks.  There, I said it.  I much prefer Trillian for my IM client.  Trillian aggregates all the major IM programs into one: AIM, Yahoo, MSN, ICQ and they even have a plugin to run IRC chatrooms for you.

While the file transfer utility doesn't always function between AIM and Trillian users I still prefer the Trillian interface enough to overlook that.  Besides, I've talked most of my friends into using Trillian ;).

Speaking of transferring files.  AIM/Trillian is awesome for sharing files - be they pictures, music or video.  IM file transfer >>>>>> email. 

Verizon and all the major cell phone service providers have figured out that users love IM.  They have software that allows you to stay in touch with all your virtual friends even when you are AFK (away from keyboard, duh).  Most of these plans charge you for each IM sent and received as if it were a text message.  Which is all fine and dandy if you have unlimited texting...  IF you have UNLIMITED TEXTING.   

My Q9c is a Windows Mobile device.  AIM has now released a version of their client that runs on Window Mobile.  Instead of using the text messaging system it uses your data account.  Now THAT I have.  I installed the software this morning and played with it a little; it looks to be quite nice. 

I did have to reinstall the AIM client on my computer to update my buddy list, which has gotten seriously out of hand.  I definitely found a few bugs with AIM's buddy list.  It gets very, VERY confused when you make A LOT OF CHANGES.  As a matter of fact it pretty much ignores everything but the first few changes you make.  Sigh.  I guess I"ll be stuck with it for a while until I get all my changes/updates recognized but then it's right back to my well loved Trillian.

Regardless, I now have a traveling AIM client.  So, you never know when you hit me up whether I'm out n about or have my ass firmly embedded in my chair at home.  Lucky you.

1 comment:

OhCaptain said...

Hmm...might need to check Trillian out again. It's been a couple of years since I used it. I've been using Pidgin for a few years now, started using it when it was called Gaim. Kind of an open source version of Trillian.